requirements and details of positions offered
HEAD OF UNIT B – CAPACITY BUILDING
Ref: CFCA-TA- AD9- 0901
Manage the Unit "Capacity Building" of
the CFCA dealing with horizontal issues in 5 different areas. The
activities to be deployed are contributing to the achievement of
the main objective "ensure uniform and effective application
of the rules of the Common Fisheries Policy by Member States".
The CFCA is organising operational cooperation
between Member States and coordinates the activities of the national
competent authorities at Community level and, on request of the
Commission, with third Parties. To this end, the CFCA is establishing
platforms for cooperation between the national services concerned,
the Commission and the CFCA which will allow all actors to work
efficiently together. The tasks of the Unit "Capacity Building"
are to develop throughfor operational cooperation between national
services, the Commission and the CFCA services capacities available
in the Community for implementing the Common Fisheries Policy.
The capacities are to be developed in the following
- Assessment of control, inspection and surveillance methodologies
and strategies; setting of performance indicators and validation
of methodologies and evaluation of the effectiveness of the activities
implemented by each of the actors involved in the joint operations;
- The exchange and monitoring of data on fishing activities and
inspection and surveillance activities necessary for the coordination
of deployment of pooled national means of control, inspection
and surveillance and data required under the relevant legislation;
a quality control of the data to be exchanged between national
services and the Commission is implemented;
- Communication in a secure environment between all actors concerned
from national services, the Commission and the CFCA and provide
for joint working places where coordinators and Working Parties
can remotely work together and meet in video conferences;
- Coordinating training for inspectors and exchanging best practices
between national services through the organization of Work Shops
and Seminars for national experts.
- Organizing an up to date inventory of the national means available
for pooling on Community level and joint deployment and prospection
for chartering private means for this purpose as well as procurement,
for uniform Community inspection equipment and gear.
Functions and Duties:
Reporting to the Executive Director and within a team of 12/15 qualified
staff; the Head of Unit will be responsible for:
- Defining the strategy and policies of the Unit, in accordance
with the work programmes and plans of the Agency,
- Ensuring effective planning and management of the five above
mentioned areas, according to quality standards,
- Coordinating and implementing activities of the Unit with ensuring
coherence and compatibility with the policies of the Agency,
- Managing and reporting on the human and financial resources
allocated to the Unit,
- Representing the Agency at international meeting and meetings
of the EU Institutions or bodies.
Qualifications and experience required
A. Eligibility criteria
- University degree,
- At least 12 years of professional experience (following the
award of the university degree)
A minimum of 5 years of the above mentioned experience must have
been spent in positions related to functions and duties described
in the vacancy
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, together with
a good knowledge of at least one other official language,
- At least 3 years of team management experience,
B. Selection criteria
- Professional experience in a domain relating to the application
of the rules of the common Fisheries Policy and control of compliance
with these rules,
- A dynamic innovative manager capable to motivate a small team
of officials developing activities promoting new ways of cooperation
at European level.
- Very good organisational skills, including the ability to plan
and monitor activities of a pluridisciplinary team,
- Sense of initiative, responsibility and ability to manage financial
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relations
with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Experience in evaluation of complex data sets (data collection,
analysis and database structures and management).
- Knowledge of EU policies and decision making processes in the
field of fisheries control, inspection and surveillance,
- Knowledge of relevant international and regional organisation
involved in fisheries activities and control,
- Knowledge of a third EU official language.